Thursday, March 4, 2010

Time Out Dining & Libation Society

Time Out always comes through with the best dining, music, and weekend advice and now they've added another facet to their repertoire: The Dining & Libation Society. Led by food editor, David Tamarkin, the society will offer a variety of culinary learning experiences and amazing cuisine.

I recently went to one of the first gatherings called, "Butcher Block and Brew" at The Bristol (www.thebristolchicago.com). The night promised a nine-course dinner with Goose Island pairings, after a butchering tutorial by chef Chris Pandel. About 50 guests sat at a large banquet table, sipping bacon (YES, bacon) infused Manhattans, waiting for the lesson to begin. The chef walked in with a fifty pound pig and set it on a side table. He, then, in a process that reminded me quite a bit of freshman year biology, proceeded to cut, slice, and dice until the entire pig lay in a tidy pile of ribs, pork shoulder, and ham hocks. While I found it interesting, I would definitely not recommend watching the bone sawing to the faint of heart!

The first course was porchetta di testa, pork rellettes with an apple mostarda, and smoked ham biscuits paired with Goose Island Sophie. The porchetta is literally the face of the pig, rolled and pickled, then sliced very fine. WAIT! I know this blog isn't supposed to make you LOSE your appetite. The descriptions get better; I promise (and it was actually delicious)! The pork rellettes were a thinly ground and salted pork that paired perfectly with the sweetness of the apple mostarda. The smoked ham biscuits were buttermilk, parmesan, and massive with warm ham and scallions inside. I was full after the first course! The Goose Island pairing, Sophie, is by and large my new favorite beer. This Belgian beer is light and bubbly, not unlike champagne, and is barreled with orange zests for a little ZING at the end (I was told that you can find it at Binny's).

The second course followed with fried pork bones accompanied by a chiles, garlic, and herb reduction - the meat was so tender it literally fell off the bone. Next came a pork loin and endive salad served warm and lightly dressed. The pairing was Goose Island Matilda, which was a darker stout, that I imagine beer lovers everywhere would die for . . . I'm just more of a PBR kind of girl (a trait which the woman next to me kindly pointed out that all the famous chefs share!)

The third (and most mouth-watering) course was slow-roast pork shoulder, smoked ham hock braised greens, and roman gnocchi paired with Goose Island Juliet. Pork is my favorite meat and pork shoulder is probably my favorite cut. This succulent entree lived up to and surpassed my high expectations. The braised greens had exactly the right amount of crunch with the tender meat to make a perfect fork-full. I had never heard of roman gnocchi before and fell in love with the fist-sized, polenta-esque, dumplings. Goose Island Juliet is a red, tangy, fruity beer that seems to be closer to a spritzer than a beer, so of course I thought it was fantastic.

I have never been a huge fan of dessert, or maybe I just have never learned to save enough room, and this dessert was no exception. However, everyone else at the table seemed to be in heaven with the bacon-laced fudge and sugar cookies. We were served Goose Bourbon County Stout in a brandy sifter, which one never would have guessed was a beer and not a liqueur.

All-in-all an amazing experience and one that makes me want to go to many more Dining & Libation Society gatherings. They are full of interesting people, excellent food and drinks, and the chance to learn something new. You can sign up here for mailings: www.dlschicago.com.

2 comments:

  1. what an awesome eating experience. wish i couldve been there! maybe theres an event while im home?? :)

    ReplyDelete