Monday, March 1, 2010

cupcake critic.

ms. exploradora asked me to be a co-author on this blog and i couldn't be more excited! i absolutely LOVE food and i'm constantly trying new foods and restaurants. i'm not much of a chef but every once and awhile i'll pull something together worth talking about.

lately i've been on a big cupcake kick just like the rest of chicago. i've had my fair share of cupcakes from different chicago bakeries and i've discussed my recent findings below.

SWEET MANDY B's
around valentine's day i bought cupcakes from sweet mandy b's - a cute bakery in lincoln park. i purchased a vanilla cupcake with pink buttercream frosting. i usually go for red velvet with cream cheese frosting from here but they were out. i love their soft, fluffy cake and their light but creamy frosting. their cupcakes are also one of the most affordable which is a plus. it's always been a fav and they haven't ever let me down. I give their cupcakes an A!

PHOEBE'S CUPCAKES
Phoebe's is a newer cupcake joint close to my apartment in Lakeview. I tried out a funfetti cupcake on my first visit and it was so so. I found the frosting to be too liquidy. This Friday I tried a mint chocolate chip cupcake with mint cake and kelly green frosting and chocolate chips. I was attracted to the bright colored frosting more than the actual flavor! The frosting was so insanely thick - kind of like the frosting that is on Baskin Robbin's ice cream cakes. I liked it but it was a bit odd to eat. I liked the overall flavor but the cake was not as moist as Sweet Mandy B's. Phoebe's is all about location for me. It's so easy to pop on over to grab a cupcake despite their so-so-ness. I give their cupcakes a B.
http://www.phoebescupcakes.com/

BLEEDING HEART BAKERY
Yesterday I made a pitstop at the Bleeding Heart Bakery on Damen and Belmont while waiting for the Belmont bus. The hardcore and brightly decorated outside and interior totally drew me in. I also appreciate that it is an organic bakery. Makes me feel better about eating the sweets. I got a peanut butter chocolate chip cupcake. This had chocolate cake and peanut butter frosting with peanuts on top. The cake was very moist and light which I enjoyed. The frosting was a bit thick for my liking and I did not like the peanut crumblies on top. I totally love sweet and salty mixes but this didn't do it for me. The PB frosting wasn't as flavorful as I would have liked it either. I know it's all healthy and organic but come on! I'd go back for more though..I give this cupcake a B+.
http://www.thebleedingheartbakery.com/

No matter what grade a cupcake deserves I'll still probably eat it. I can't turn em down!

2 comments:

  1. jenk! loved the cupcake review. mouth is watering :) you'll have to take me to one while i'm home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom just read this after me and it's all we could think about after our salad and veggie burger health food dinner . . .

    ReplyDelete